Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:04:17 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob89@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        marco@radzinschi.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: Inactive vs. free memory?

> Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 14:20:20 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
> Subject: Q: Inactive vs. free memory?
>
> Hello:
>
>         I am confused by the inactive and free readings given by top.  I
> certainly understand the free part, but what is the inactive memory being
> used for?

See  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vm-design/
and more specifically,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vm-design/x75.html

The relatively short answer is that "Inactive" memory is dirty
memory that needs to be written to swap before it can be reallocated.
"Cache" is memory that can be reallocated immediately, either because
it has already been written to swap, or for some reason it can be
reused without doing so (I suppose an example of this would be
executable code that will be re-read from the original file if it
is needed again).

Memory gets into the "Inactive" or "Cache" queue by not being accessed
for a while.  Something is still claiming it, but since it hasn't been
accessed recently, it is considered a good candidate for re-use
when something else needs some physical memory.  If the process that
owns the memory accesses it, it will be moved back to "Active" without
any swapping being necessary.

> Below is a typical top reading on a box with 256 MB of RAM.
>
> Mem: 26M Active, 174M Inact, 23M Wired, 11M Cache, 35M Buf, 16M Free
> Swap: 1024M Total, 1024M Free
>
> Could anyone clarify what FreeBSD is doing with the 174MB of inactive
> memory?

Well, basically, it is doing nothing but watching it age.  If necessary,
it will eventually be written to swap.  That's not going to happen
until memory needs can't be met from the "Free" and "Cache" pools.

> Thanks,
>
> Marco Radzinschi
>
> E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com
> AOL IM: CrackedBoy