Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:58:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), noslenj@swbell.net (Jay Nelson), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

> > To get a taste of this, you should consider the situation that
> > occurred when Matt Dillon sold Best Internet off, and was able
> > o spend 8 hours a day hacking new code, and how a volunteer
> > core was not able to keep up with reviewing it at the rate he
> > was able to produce it.  They throttled it back by removing,
> > and then conditionalizing, his commit priviledges, something
> > that wouldn't really work with several core members backing a
> > commit.
>
> You know that's crap, Terry. Don't go there. You'll only start off a
> new flamewar.

And you quoting it back as "flamebait" won't... but now that
you have achieved your goal of goading me into justifying my
comments, let me lay it out for you:

Riddle me this, Batman: What is the difference between FreeBSD
-current not working because it won't compile because there is
no compile-before-commit requirement and no reader-locking on
CVS mirroring, and FreeBSD -current not working because Garret
Wollman is making networking changes, John Dyson is making VM
changes, someone is importing an entirely new SCSI system, or
Matt Dillon is in the middle of making VM changes?

As a consumer of the source tree, all I see are two states:

1)	It works
2)	It's broken

Any argument about why it's in state #2 is pretty much as useful
as debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

> > Finally, there's some concern about proprietary drivers not
> > being available for the free version, and displacing freely
> > available drivers in the free version, leaving no free
> > alternatives.
>
> Judging from what currently publicly known, the only "proprietary
> drivers" not "available for the free version" will be those written
> under NDA, i.e. those drivers for which there is no free equivalent in
> the first place.

Remember that you opened this can of worms...

OK, Gendanken experiment time: IBM has a RAID controller for which
an IBM employee has written a driver, for which source code can not
be released.

1)	Will FreeBSD be able to utilize this driver, if it is
	released in binary form by IBM?  In other words, are
	the powers that be going to allow FreeBSD to use binary
	only driver in a kernel build, and are they going to
	permit the changes to FreeBSD necessary to support this
	build process to be committed to FreeBSD's source tree?

Assume the answer to that one is "yes".

2)	Given that BSDI has binary-only drivers, the source for
	which can not be released because of NDA, are the binary
	object files, linkable to a FreeBSD kernel using the
	process outlined in #1, going to be made available for
	use in FreeBSD?

3)	Given new hardware under NDA, when the hardware is no
	longer under NDA because the Linux camp have done our
	jobs for us, and gotten documentation released, or have
	written a driver without documentation, will the NDA
	driver then be released?

4)	If the answer is "no", then will the powers that be permit
	a driver written using the Linux driver as a reference to
	be committed to the FreeBSD tree, as has occurred with
	other drivers in the past?

5)	Say a division of IBM uses FreeBSD, and a driver for
	IBM hardware is written under NDA, and the answer to any
	of #1, #2, or #3 is "no".  Will the division of IBM be
	forced to use BSDI, or not have a driver for hardware
	obtained from a different division of IBM, with which the
	first division has no political clout?

As I said, there is some concern about these issues.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.