Date:      Thu,  6 Jan 2000 08:05:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alt. C compiler

>Many system include files are *NOT* for public consumption.

Then it would be nice if people didn't have to grovel around system include
files to find things.

> Also,
>include files should never include other include files, as this messes
>up dependencies.

That just means you need a smarter dependancy generator, one that digs
into include files for more #includes.

On the Amiga, all include files were supposed to include all include files
they needed, *and* they were supposed to guard themselves and any include
files they included (the latter being an optimization to avoid extra includes
on the slow disks and processors of 1985):

#ifndef GRAPHICS_RASTPORT_H

#ifndef GRAPHICS_BITMAP_H
#include <Graphics/Bitmap.h>
#endif

#endif

This worked very well in practice, and I think it's a shame that UNIX
systems don't do this. I'm forever patching Linux software to add extra
"#include <sys/types.h>" and the like.