Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:05:40 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: For review: machdep.bootdev sysctl (for i386)

At 8:56 PM -0800 3/9/02, Michael Smith wrote:
>Luigi wrote:
>  > Looking at a way to determine the boot device from
>  > userland, I have come to the conclusion that the most
>  > reasonable way is to export to userland whatever
>  > information the kernel has (and this is machine
>  > dependent, sorry!), and let some userland program
>  > (getbootdev(1)) convert it into a reasonable device
>  > name.
>
>What do you mean by "boot device"?
>
>The device from which the initial bootstrap was loaded?
>The device from which the loader was loaded?  The device
>from which the kernel was loaded?

In thinking some more about what I was hoping for, what I
want is really the "rootdev" value.  For instance, I want
to be able to duplicate a bunch of partitions to a second
set of partitions, and I want to have a different
/etc/fstab picked during the bootup-process based on which
partition I am booting off of.

In my case, I would be doing simple booting of the partition,
so bootdev and rootdev and any-other-initial-dev would all
be the same value.  But strictly-speaking, I imagine rootdev
is really what I am looking for.

Is that something which could be done?