Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 12:08:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rbs@io.org (Bob Semcesen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get FreeBSD from ftp site?

Bob Semcesen stands accused of saying:
> Please help.  IF YOU CAN NOT HELP THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHO CAN.

PLEASE DON'T SHOUT. IT'S ANNOYING AND PEOPLE WILL IGNORE YOU.

> This is my aim:
>
>   Transfer the most current version of FreeBSD from an anonymous
>   ftp site (ftp.FreeBSD.org) to a UNIX machine which is directly
>   on the internet.
>   (I know there are a lot of files, so I plan to do this during
>   low usage hours like 6 AM EST.)
>   Next, I would transfer the retrieved FreeBSD distribution files
>   from the UNIX host to my own MS-DOS hard drive.

If you have a CDrom drive, buying the CD (which is very reasonably priced)
is a much better way to go, unless you're very patient.  Also, check with
Brian Tao (taob@io.org) as he may already have a copy much closer to you.

> These are my questions:
>
>   Which is the most current version on the ftp.FreeBSD.org site?

Check the dates on the directories.  Do you want 'most current release', or
mostest currentest?

>   What are the SNAP versions?

Snapshots of the development tree.

>   Which files/directories on the anon ftp site do I need???

That depends on what you want to install.  I'd recommend going with the
2.0.5-RELEASE distribution, so you'll want the contents of
the floppies, bin, info and manpages directories at a minimum.  If you want
source code, get the src directory, if you want Xwindows, get the XF86311
directory as well.  (Watch it, that last one's a doozy)

>   Many file in subdirectories of 2.0.5-RELEASE have long
>   unix filenames. Of course, I can't store them on my DOS
>   partition so I am assumming there are archived files that
>   will be uncompressed during FreeBSD installation - am I right?

No.  Files in the ports/ and packages/ directories have long names and
you can't usefully store them on a DOS partition.

>   How do I install FreeBSD from DOS given the files that I ftp'd
>   from ftp.FreeBSD.org?

Read the instructions.  This is covered in some detail, but note that
the sample xcopy commands are wrong; the files should end up in their own
subdirectories, not in the freebsd directory.

> Eagerly waiting you response, Bob Semcesen   (rbs@io.org)

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[