Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 00:31:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Youse <cyouse@artemis.syncom.net>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>, alexandr@mail.eecis.udel.edu, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, "'Philippe Regnauld'" <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads across processors

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> I'd give my eye teeth to be able to run FreeBSD on Macintoshes.

Agreed; while I'm sure we all agree that MacOS blows[1], the modern Mac
hardware leaves PCs in the dust.  Don't crucify me for admitting to this,
but I do run Linux on a Mac 7600/132 (that's a 132MHz PPC) and it
absolutely flies.

The problem with ports to Mac hardware has always been Apple's reluctance
to release the required information, but the existence of two independent
ports of Linux to the PPC (one sanctioned by Apple) indicates that Apple's
attitude has changed.

NetBSD actually has an experimental PowerMac port in progress.  Last I
checked, it was booting succesfully into single-user mode.

Chuck Youse

[1] This is an unfair criticism, as MacOS was ahead of its time when it
was designed nearly 20 years ago, and ran on hardware primitive by today's
standards.