Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:34:36 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Bruce Bauman <bbauman@wgate.com>
Subject:   Re: GDB 4.18 and shared libraries (Mozilla)

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 01:14:30PM +0700, Max Khon wrote:
> ld is broken. apply attached patch, rebuild everything in
> src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils and relink libraries.
> the patch is taken from binutils cvs (elf32-i386.c 1.8 -> 1.9)
> there is open PR for this (20373) but I cannot submit a followup for some
> reason.

I do not know why you say `ld' when it is a most a BFD problem.  I also
dare say that if you were using GDB 5.0 (or a snapshot from the HEAD
branch) this would not be a problem.

Rev 1.8 of bfd/elf32-i386.c is the version in Binutils 2.10.0, rev 1.9
was committed after the binutils_2.10 release branch was created.  The
Binutils maintainers do not feel there are any critical bugs in 2.10.0.
Thus they have not committed rev 1.9 to the binutils_2.10 release branch.
You are free to try to convince them that rev 1.9 should be committed to
the binutils_2.10 release branch so that it will show up in Binutils
2.10.1.  But that is a battle I do not wish to fight.

Thus the lack of the rev 1.8-1.9 change is a GDB/Binutils problem, not a
FreeBSD one.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)