Date:      09 Oct 2000 19:18:57 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT avail

 * From: Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>

 * I guess I must have been asleep during the discussions which preceded
 * this move since the rearrangement event didn't take me by surprise
 * (you were very good about announcing that in advance) but the actual
 * details of it did.  I recognise that the package metadata does take
 * up a bunch of inodes, though I don't quite see what advantage was
 * incurred by moving it up one level from, say, pkg/PLIST to pkg-plist;
 * can you perhaps explain it again for those of us like me who weren't
 * paying attention the first time?

Much fewer directories.  That was the first goal. :)

By the way, a simple count on bento's ports tree shows 77,226 files
before and 50,031 files after the conversion.  Most of the savings
comes from reducing the directory count from 28,678 to 13,783 and the
associated CVS stuff.  (In terms of inodes, it's from 105,904 to
63,814.)

Ignoring the CVS directories and files in them, it's 34,628 files to
29,367 files, and 14,487 directories to 6,899 directories.  This last
count is what's significant, as we managed to reduce the number of
directories to less than half. :)

 * Most notably, I'm wondering why you didn't simply fold all the package
 * metadata into a single file with unique separators (even html-ish tags
 * would do). Then the ports makefile infrastructure would simply
 * separate it out into separate temp files for the rather rarely
 * executed (for most folks anyway) "package" target.  I think it's only
 * that and the "describe" target which have any interest in the contents
 * of the pkg/ directory unless you count the plist munging stuff, and
 * that could be fairly easily changed to work from a single file as
 * well.

There's also ease of maintenance by porters.  I don't really like
going the Richard Wackarbarth direction of modifying the ports tree in
order to reduce the cost to users by further burdening our overworked
porter/committer bunch.

That said, we are planning to move pkg-comment into a variable in
Makefile (which will also take care of all the nastiness associated
with multi-line COMMENT files and those that don't have the trailing
'\n') so that's one less file to worry about.  That leaves only
pkg-descr and pkg-plist for most ports.

 * I should also note that the libh folks are working towards a packaging
 * standard with a single package metadata file, so if we ever do manage
 * to get that project finished and the ports collection migrated to a
 * new package format, such a move would occur in any case.

We'll talk about it when that happens. :)

Satoshi