Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 22:15:43 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM 10/100 Supported?

> IBM part # is FRU 25H3511
> IBM 100/10 ISA ethernet card
> DP83800AVF

This is the National Semiconductor 10/100 ISA ethernet interface.  We
don't support this device.  It's debatable as to whether it's *worth*
trying to support 100Mbps on ISA; the bus has about 1/10th the required
bandwidth.  This chip is also an poor choice; it only has a 5k onboard
received FIFO, which in many cases would be too small (resulting in
lost packets and correspondingly poor performance).

> ES9636ALC4
>
> My friend has this card... and it is on a slow machine, so a recompile will
> be long.  Anyone know if this card is supported by FreeBSD?  And.. should I
> just use conventional ne2000 as the device to compile for?

No, you will need to obtain a different card.  We don't support any
100Mbps ISA adapters, so if you want to do 100Mbps you will need to go
to PCI.  Alternatively, get a cheap NE2000 clone.