Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 1995 13:24:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rajen Bose <rbose@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation

To whom this may concern,

I have a 25MHz IBM 486SX running Windows 3.1, and I'm trying to install
FreeBSD 2.0, but I am having problems creating the initial boot disk.
I've downloaded boot_144.flp and cpio.flp from the SNAP950112 directory
and the 2.0-release directory from your ftp site.  I used rawrite to copy
the images onto 3.5" floppies.  CPIO.FLP transfers to the floppies just
fine, however, boot_144.flp always gives me an error (Controller has
failedector:  1) after the 80th track.  I noticed that the size of the
boot_144.flp file was 1480Kb, so I thought that there was a size
descrepancy.  So, I used the boot_12.flp file.  It transfered to the 3.5"
floppy, using rawrite, with no problem.  However, whenever I restart the
machine with the boot disk in the a: drive, the computer reades the drive
and then just hangs.  There is a flashing underscore in the upper
left-hand corner, but nothing else.  Do you have any suggestions?

Raj