Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:46:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosts.allow: deny set but ping requests come through

On 19 Jun 2000, Roland Jesse wrote:

> Good point and thanks for the pointer. Now it is way more restrictive
> than I wanted it to be but at least the ping requests from the
> specific machine in question don't get answered anymore.

Restrictive firewalls (e.g. those which deny everything and then allow
through specific exceptions) are usually better than open ones which only
deny a few things, because chances are you've forgotten something, or
you'll forget to update it when you install a new service. So this is a
good thing - just remember to check the ipfw logs when you have a
"weird" problem with network connectivity (assuming you wrote your 'deny'
rules as 'deny log').

Kris