Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:35:33 +0000
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, dpd@dribble.lan.raffles-it.com
Subject:   Re: Vinum incidents.

Andrew,

I am afraid that I had the same problems with a Raid 5 vinum disk using 7 9GB
Compaq/Segate drives. I created a 50GB volume for user home directories and it
had very low traffic volumes. I managed to recover a stale drive on several
occasions, but every couple of days it would go stale again. I have now moved
the data from the Raid 5 Volume to another volume that is built with mirrored
drives. I rebuilt the raid volume a several more times, made a file system on
it and mounted it and that was it, after several days with no traffic to the
drives no messages saying that there were any problems it still went stale.
The system stayed up through out and nothing appeared in any logs that I could
find. The annoying thing to me was that a different drive or combination of
drives went stale each time so I couldn't pin the problem down to a drive. I
did try alternate termination and cables with no luck. I even swapped the
termination with a an identically configured system the same problem
reappeared, but didn't move across the systems with the changed hardware so I
don't think the problem is with the hardware. At some point I will follow Greg
Lehey's web site requirements for trouble shooting and send the required info
to him for analysis. Greg's web site is at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-
debug.html

David