Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 08:24:27 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: floppy flaky

As Mr M P Searle wrote:

> Well, I've had reads from floppies return bad data as well - there was a
> stream of timeout errors (which I always get using floppies), ...

That means your controller or drive is out to lunch.  Timeouts are
only supposed to happen if there's no medium in the drive.  (This is
due to one of the most botched parts of the PeeCee ``architecture'',
some genius of an engineer at IBM dropped the READY signal from the
floppy bus, and wired the READY pin of the FDC to +5 V.  So the
controller now thinks the drive were always ready, and your only
chance to notice that it's actually not is timing out an attempted
command.)

--
cheers, J"org