Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:26:35 -0400
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: quick cam driver?

At 12:57 AM 10/20/01 -0700, you wrote:
>You should have sold it 5 years ago.  The VC programming interface
>changed from the parallel port one and specs have not been available.

I have a QuickCam Pro USB sitting on top of my monitor, and the thing is a
paperweight under anything except Win98, WinMe, or Win2000. With such a
wide range of OS choices, who needs support for crummy old UNIX? >:P

About a month ago, I sent a very nice, 3-page letter to Logitech basically
begging them to support their cameras under *ANY* operating system other
than Windows. (I specifically mentioned FreeBSD, among others.) I spent a
good deal of space explaining why it would be a boon for them to do this; I
own 4 of their Quickcams already and would likely run out to buy at least 6
more if they were supported under UNIX, and I have no doubt others would do
the same - a fact I clearly stated in my letter.

Logitech seems amenable to the idea of supporting other OSes, as they
helped with the drivers for their various joysticks under Linux. Maybe they
just need some more prodding and will alter their position? I'm sure others
have made similar requests of them on previous occasions, so this might
just be wishful thinking.

However, I know a number of people who have wanted support for their
cameras under some version of UNIX, so perhaps Logitech just needs some
more encouragement. If you want them to support their cameras, sending off
a letter or e-mail to them might be beneficial - it certainly can't hurt.

If anyone else does contact them, BE NICE.

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM