Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:10:08 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        gerti@bitart.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linksys WPC11 and -stable

Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com> wrote:

> I use a Linksys card and base, and can only get it to work with WEP
> turned off. Would the hack discussed here fix that?

     Oh, blarg.  That reminds me.  There's another possibility: Linksys
password scrambling.  Are you using ASCII WEP keys?  If so, you've got
to convert the ASCII WEP key into hex and use that at the FreeBSD end.
Linksys access points, for some strange reason, treat ASCII WEP keys in
some strange manner, which is usually (always?) incompatible with that
of other manufacturer's equipment.  It's not a problem if you use MS
Windows, with the provided Linksys drivers.  However, with
FreeBSD/Linux, or other manufacturer's cards/drivers, you've got to
convert ASCII WEP keys to hex and use that (if the Linksys access point
uses ASCII -- there isn't an issue if hex is used).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com