Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:18:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: netgraph...

Richard Wackerbarth writes:
> Is it so "complicated" to export a template (eg. format string)

That wouldn't be, but the worry is that templates might not
be a powerful enough "language" to cover all the possibilities.
Remember, the goal is to transate an ASCII string containing
arbitrary "argc, argv" type information into an arbitrary
binary format that might contain bitflags, etc. For example,
look at the ipfw(8) program's parser. Julian's already mentioned
the possibility of writing an "ipfw" node.

Any "language" to do this would have to be so complicated
that it would essentially be a programming language, so
why not just export a perl script? :-) (that was a rhetorical
question :-)

> And, using your scheme, how do I compute the time interval between two
> messages? Do you propose to convert ALL packet fields for EVERY packet in
> a dump? Even if I care about only one or two fields?

The translation to and from ASCII could be done off-line, like
the way tcpdump can do it, for example. In general, control
messages will always be in binary format until/unless a human
wants to see them. Then they can be translated in "human time".

-Archie