Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:56:50 -0800
From:      Jon Nelson <chaos@zen.oftheinter.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   de0 driver issue in 4.0-S

After a couple days of my 4.0-S system being up, for some reason it appears
to just spaz out, spraying "swap_pager_getswapspace: failed" kernel
messages to the console, and permanently dropping the connection on the de0
interface.  The system appears to be running smoothly though. The system
acts mainly as a NAT box and a Half Life: Counterstrike server.  When I
return to see these errors, the HL server program has stopped running for
whatever reason. -- Aha, it appears I am on to something.  I have a perl
script that parses all of the player stats into nifty html pages.  It
appears this happened right after the script executes.... it is notoriously
memory hungry.  However, I shouldnt be losing an interface because all
availible virtual memory is filled at a given time.  For the time being I
have disable the script.

here's my uname -a output:
FreeBSD zen.oftheinter.net 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #1: Fri Mar 17
17:31:01 PST 2000     chaos@zen.oftheinter.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/ZEN  i386

de0 probe on boot:
de0: 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 2.1
de0: address 00:c0:f0:23:2f:02
de0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

The system is a Celeron 466 with 128mb PC100 ram and 261mb swap space allocated.