Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 1995 05:09:08 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-sys@freefall.freebsd.org, peter@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa si.c

>  Modified:    sys/i386/isa  si.c
>  Log:
>  Another shot at getting working si DEVFS entries..  Apparently, it didn't
>  understand %02d in it's format string...

Our kernel sprintf() is very limited.  We have many inadequate printf cores
in the kernel:

	sprintf()		-- same interface as user sprintf()
	kprintf()		-- similar interface to user vfprintf()l
	db_printf_guts()	-- more or less a copy of kprintf(), with a
				   few extra features, e.g., support for %#.
				   Apparently copied without attribution
				   from the BSD/USL(?) kprintf(), or vice
				   versa.

There should be exactly one core routine similar to vfprintf(), and
something like fwopen() to initialize the output function, and
snprintf()...  Some kernel printfs pass around an output function,
but this makes interfaces like snprintf() too hard to add - there has
to be somewhere to record an output-function-dependent state.

Bruce