Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 10:32:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        nawaz921@cs.uidaho.edu (faried nawaz)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

> I've never used `ee' in the install, but if I'm correct, it's used for
> post-install configuration (am I right?).  Why not give the user a choice
> of an editor (from the packages) before it is needed/used for editing
> purposes?

It becomes the default editor for everyone period, something I don't think
is a good idea at all.

> I personally don't like the idea of a "newbie" editor.  Ever read those
> jokes about Linux "sysadmins" and pico?  I'm not sure I would like to
> hear anything similar about FreeBSD from any quarter.

There's a bit of a philosophy rift between those who are trying to make
FreeBSD a mainstream popular OS and those that really don't care whether
newbies get scared off by vi or not and just want FreeBSD to be the best
Unix there is in the marketplace.

Personally, I don't give a damn if some newbie gets scared off Unix
because it doesn't have notepad. As I've already said, if they can't
get over that hurdle then they can forget it because the rest of the
stuff they have to learn is much scarier. I think that some people have
been hacking Unix too long and think it's easy and are assuming that if
we replace vi with something simpler unix will suddenly be more
accessible. I think that's a fundamentally flawed opinion. It'll just
delay things marginally, so, they've got this nice "type away" editor
but they're going to quickly realise that adding users, configuring
DNS/NFS and other network stuff, getting XFree86 working, setting up
the filesystems etc etc etc is rather more difficult than clicking on
the word icon and starting work.

Given that all these editors have always existed it must amount to something
that no-one who has stuck with Unix actually use anything other than vi or
emacs.

I've got no problem with providing alternative editors and I'll concede
that vi is not a good idea for installation or newbies will never get
FreeBSD up in the first place BUT I'm really against anything but vi
becoming the default editor post-installation for *everyone*. I'm
positive that *most* FreeBSD users are already unix hackers and making
every one of them change the EDITOR variable is a damn pain. I'm not
looking forward to the complaints from sites I've installed FreeBSD
boxes in when all their die hard unix users suddenly find their
EDITOR is now ee or even pico!

Incidentally, I made the suggestion on -chat that the EDITOR setting
become an installation option.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155