Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:38:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intelligent Debugging Tools...

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> Why?  And how many changes are there in your kernel config file with
> respect to the GENERIC kernel?  Did you make the fatal mistakes that
> others have made and started from the LINT config file instead of the
> GENERIC config?

	*groan*  What's wrong with using the LINT config file and
trimming it down to what you want?

	Here's my config file (pt0/sctarg0) removed...in case there
is something else i shouldn't have configured in? :(

----

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I486_CPU"

ident		kinet

#
# The `maxusers' parameter controls the static sizing of a number of
# internal system tables by a complicated formula defined in param.c.
#
maxusers	32

#
# Under some circumstances it is necessary to make the default max
# number of processes per user and open files per user more than the
# defaults on bootup.  (an example is a large news server in which
# the uid, news, can sometimes need > 100 simultaneous processes running,
# or perhaps a user using lots of windows under X).
options		"CHILD_MAX=128"
options		"OPEN_MAX=128"

config		kernel	root on sd0

options		"COMPAT_43"
options		SYSVSHM
options		"SHMMAXPGS=512"   # 2048Kb (?) of sharable memory
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG

options		DDB
options 	DODUMP

options		INET			#Internet communications protocols

pseudo-device	ether			#Generic Ethernet
pseudo-device	loop			#Network loopback device
pseudo-device	bpfilter	4	#Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device	tun	1		#Tunnel driver(user process ppp)

# One of these is mandatory:
options		FFS			#Fast filesystem
options		NFS			#Network File System

options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem

options		QUOTA			#enable disk quotas

controller	scbus0	#base SCSI code
device		sd0	#SCSI disks

pseudo-device	pty	64	#Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 64
pseudo-device	log		#Kernel syslog interface (/dev/klog)

controller	isa0

options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device		vt0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
#options		"PCVT_FREEBSD=210"	# pcvt running on FreeBSD 2.0.5
#options		XSERVER			# include code for XFree86
#options		FAT_CURSOR		# start with block cursor

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

controller	pci0
device		ncr0
Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org