Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 1994 14:19:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        root@io.cts.com (Morgan Davis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xchess?

> cc -O -DDEF_PROGRAM=\"/usr/bin/chess\" -I. -I/usr/X386/include -c
> xchess.c
> In file included from xchess.h:32,
>                  from xchess.c:35:
> std.h:73: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
> /usr/include/stdio.h:244: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'

I ran into the same problem trying to compile v1.3 of the TIS firewall
toolkit on a 2.0R machine.  It appears that:

char *sys_errlist[];

is no longer sufficient; either change these occurrences or just remove
them and make sure <stdio.h> is included, where you'll find (on line
244, no less ;)

extern __const char *__const sys_errlist[];

This worked for me in any case; whether or not it's "correct" is up to
those of you who like to debate exactly how many spaces follow comments
and #defines and all thet other language type of crap ;) ;)

There's probably a way to tell gcc to chill out in this case (it's not a
*major* difference having a const char as opposed to just a char, SFAIK)
but I didn't look it up.  "gcc -traditional"  perhaps?
--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@vt.edu