Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 20:11:21 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between RELENG_* and RELENG_*_BP

In a message written on Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:15:58AM -0700, JJ Behrens wrote:
> The online documentation for PHP allows users to post comments at the end of
> every page of the online documentation.  Often times, these comments serve to
> enlighten others about various quirks of the libraries.  Perhaps doing the same
> thing with the FreeBSD handbook pages (only online) might be a good idea.

Allowing random comments (alone) isn't useful.  More often than
not PHP comments are not useful, or outright wrong.  That said, we
need to break down the barriers to good documentation.

I think we could learn something from slashdot.org here, in that
the right solution might be not only to have comments, but also to
have moderators.  In this way the user community can not only submit
comments, but also rank them so we separate the wheat from the
chaff.  In the case of documentation it would also be essential to
remove highly moderated comments as they are integrated into the
documentation.

At the end of the day, we need to lower the barrier to adding
documentation, while increasing the quality.  Far from an easy task.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org