Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 15:28:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is profiling code broken?

> > I would expect the second do loop to be removed by a decent optimizer;
> > ij is not a dependent variable.  Maybe the back end changed to 2.7.2 or
> > the default optimization flags have changed in the compilation script?
>
> Okay, it was a simple example program.  On my code with 5k lines that
> can take an hour or more to run, I still get no profiling information
> other than the number of times a function (subroutine) has been called.

Right.  The buckets are divided by address space into per symbol
buckets.  Profiling is, by definition, done at a per function
granularity.

What function are you calling that isn't showing up?

Maybe a better question would be: what did you want it to show, as
opposed to what it does show?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---