Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:43:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rhett Monteg Hollander <victorysoldier@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrix CPUs, was: Re: Repeatable crash from nautilus2

All right, gentlemen, let's finish with it. I have
never meant that Cyrix produced perfectly wonderful
processors; but they don't deserve for an attitude
like to trash, anyway.

To Charles Swiger:

> NOTE 1: The options, CPU_BTB_EN, CPU_LOOP_EN,
> CPU_IORT, and CPU_RSTK_EN should not be used because
> of CPU bugs.
> These options may crash your system.
I agree. But these bugs count for Cx5x86 _only_, not
affecting 6x86\6x86MX.

>PS: I think the guys at NeXT decided that the x86
>platform had enough issues without trying to work
>around broken hardware; in hindsight, that may have
>been a wrong decision, but I'm still using a 33MHz
>68040 NeXTstation as a primary machine.
Nope. In September of 1985 Steven Jobs came out Apple
and founded NextStep (numerous problems inside Apple
led to this point). Four years later a first NeXT was
introduced. All NeXTs were built with Motorola CPUs,
like Apple Macintoshes. I don't think that Intel CPUs
in 1989 were buggy (for your reference, AMD, Cyrix &
Co. started producing proprietarly designed CPUs only
since 1991-92); Motorola's 68k were just faster &
cheaper. I do agree that NextStep OS was something
outstanding for those days, and personally like its
interface. But, NeXTs were too expensive for the
market (like Apple Lisa before), and the company went
almost bankrupt in 1993, having only about 50 thousand
machines sold.
If you like NeXTs, all power to you. Personally, I
still use a 75MHz NexGen Nx586 loaded with FreeBSD,
though not as a primary machine.

To James Pole:

>I think the fact Cyrix isn't very popular these days,
>compared to Intel/AMD processors says a lot about the
>quality of their processors back in the Pentium/586
>days.
Cyrix CPUs aren't popular nowadays because they're
manufactured no more. VIA acquired Cyrix from National
Semiconductor 3 years ago, and scrapped
Jalapeno\Mojave core soon. Rest in peace, muchacho...
Cyrix is good example what poor marketing can lead to.

>Nowdays people use Intel/AMD processors and to date I
>havn't come across any >serious problems with those
>processors.
Indeed, do they have anything else to choose from?
Don't mention VIA C3 or Transmeta Crusoe, I have very
suspicious attitude to both of them. Even low power
consumption doesn't compensate so poor performance.

>I'm not saying they don't have problems, but
Intel/AMD >are often willing to replace CPUs with bugs
(such as >that floating point pug that occured in the
Intel >Pentium in the mid-1990's) and many of the bugs
are so
>simple they are solved by a simple software
workaround >(eg Intel's F00F bug -- almost every OS
including
>FreeBSD includes the workaround).
Most bugs in modern CPUs (since PPro) are eliminated
through microcode updation at boot time, so you may
never know about them. But I'm sure they are; more
complicated a CPU gets, more bugs (errata) it
potentially contains.

>I've seem more Apples than Cyrixs, and that says a
>lot...
But I have seen much more Cyrix-based PCs than Apple
boxes\aquariums.

FINALLY:

Cyrix technology has _nothing_ common with VIA Cyrix
III (C3) except name. VIA C3 is based on IDT\Centaur
technology. Don't mistake apples with oranges.

---
Regards,
 Rhett