Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2013 14:06:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS in jails 9.2-RC1 permission denied

On 08/08/2013 13:05, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013, at 6:59, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
>>
>> I'm just guessing, but I doubt a jail would be able to create new ZFS
>> filesystems outside its own structure, if at all able. A jail would
>> however be allowed to (un)mount already existing filesystems within
>> its own structure, i.e. Pool/test1.
>>

> When I first reviewed his post I clearly confused "mounting" with
> "creating a new zfs filesystem". Is that even supposed to be permitted
> in a jail? I almost feel a sysctl disabling that by default would be
> nice... DoS by zfs filesystem creation/deletion, anyone?

There's a 'zfs jail' command and a 'jailed' property you can set on a
ZFS which I believes allow you to manage that ZFS from within the jail.
 I think that extends to creating other ZFSes beneath that one (which
would inherit the 'jailed' property), BICBW.

Mostly I find it easier to just manage the ZFSes from the host system
but then again, I'm not really making very extensive use of jails.

	Cheers,

	Matthew