Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 10:43:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@ds9.abac.com>
To:        Sinuralan <sin@cowz.lumiere-cc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var as symlink

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Sinuralan wrote:

> Just wanted to check and see if anybody knows for sure whether replacing
> /var with a symlink to something like /usr/var (with all appropriate
> subdirs) would work.

As long as /usr is on your root partition, I don't see any reason why it
wouldn't work.  However, as far as I know, the system needs to access
files in /var during the boot process, and if you have /var linked to a
directory that's on another filesystem, and that filesystem isn't mounted
yet, you may run into problems.

*     Bryce Newall    *    IRC: Data    *    Email: data@dal.net     *
*  WWW: http://voyager.abac.com/data  *  IRC Admin, voyager.dal.net  *
*        --== Try DALnet!  Server irc.dal.net, port 7000 ==--        *
*               "Stop smirking, Number 1."  -- J.L. Picard           *
*          "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop!"  -- EMH Program, ST:FC    *