Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 21:50:12 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        brian@pobox.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

At 9:28 PM -0400 8/8/99, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 10:31 PM -0700 8/6/99, Gregory Sutter wrote:
>>Jordan,
>>
>>You know how you're constantly talking about having huge numbers of
>>things that need to be done, and nobody actually doing them?  Well...
>
>So, you start out by saying Jordan has complained about "nobody
>actually doing things".

I then got a little carried away in replying to the many points of
the message, and as a result I think my comments may not have come
out quite the way I meant them...

>Now, you might thing "But Jordan should be thrilled at all these
>offers".  Well, offers don't always pan out.  Not even honest and
>well-intentioned offers.  You might also ask "Why is this Garance
>character butting in?".  Because I am one of those guys Jordan has
>had to deal with, who has also made honest offers.

This was really the main point of my message.  Jordan (and others)
may sound put-offish when offers are made, precisely because a lot
of people do make honest offers, but may not live up to those offers
right away.  A year ago I would have bet money that my own artwork
ideas would have been completed by Dec 1998 at the latest.  There
was absolutely no question in my mind that would have happened.  And
yet, well, assorted interruptions have put that off for nearly a
year.

If core-team people don't already know who you are (preferably via
things you've already delivered on), then your offers aren't going
to sound all that different from any other (generally) honest offers
that they have heard before.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute