Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:19:04 -0700
From:      Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanchez@apple.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Conrad Minshall <conrad@apple.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apple's planned appoach to permissions on movable filesystems

|     While it is certainly true that a person could eventually get
physical
|     access into the machine, it is a significantly more difficult
task and
|     therefore a significant distinction still exists between the
data stored
|     on the hard drive and stored in, say, a floppy.

  This is becoming less and less true.  One of the driving reasons
why we're trying to work out this issue is FireWire.  At some point,
you might expect a computer that uses FireWire for both the internal
and external drives, and the kernel isn't necessarily going to be
able to know what's "locked inside" the computer vs what's outside
the computer; it's (possibly) all one big hot-swappable bus.  Your
root device could certainly live outside the box.  Distinguishing
"easily removeable" isn't the way to go here.

	-Fred

--
       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD