Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:26:49 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Peter D. Pawelek" <ppawel@axess.com>, anxiety@primenet.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE-1.0

On 1998-07-19 20:10 -0400, "Peter D. Pawelek" <ppawel@axess.com> wrote:
> You may want to try using gmake to compile instead of the BSD make utility.
> I found that I was unable to compile the KDE-graphics package with make,
> but it compiled flawlessly with gmake. A good rule of thumb when 'rolling
> your own' is to use gmake when the FreeBSD make pukes.

Many of the KDE Makefiles assume you are using GMAKE,
since the developers obviously do. But the dependencies
are often very easy to replace by POSIX make constructs,
and that is what most of the patches in the FreeBSD ports
of KDE are about.

Only the KPATHSEA sub directory within kdegraphics/kdvi
heavily depended on GNU-Make, and this seems to no longer
be the case (after visual inspection of the Makefile).

Regards, STefan