Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 03:28:14 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jwd@unx.sas.com
Subject:   Re: 13 months of user time?

> >> Ahh... I bet that is it:  APM sucks.
> >>
> >> Try to disable APM and see if you can reproduce it, I'll bet you
> >> my collection of genuine 11 row punched cards that you can't.
> >
> >We've already had a respondent indicate that they are seeing the
> >symptoms on non-APM systems.
>
> I didn't see that, and I doubt it until the repondent double-checks
> his bios settings...

With no APM in the kernel, the BIOS is not at liberty to play with the
clock.  (No connect, no enable.)

You're welcome to check the archives, if you wish.

I also consider it a fault in our timing support if it can't handle
time moving forwards at a variable rate.  "APM" doesn't send the clock
backwards, so no time interval should ever be negative.

Please take this issue seriously.  You can't just handwave and say
"it's all APM's fault".