Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:33:06 -0400
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        topof_theworld@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: Just a couple

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Vinny Palladino wrote:
> I've been looking around for a new OS, and
> read about yours on Cnet. I use my computer for
> on-line gaming. Would my windows games be able to run
> on FreeBSD3.2? Does it support OpenGL. What advantages
> (from a gamers point of view) would I gain from this
> OS?

Because FreeBSD is a completely difference operating system, it doesn't
naturally run Windows software.  There is a commercial software package,
called VMWare, which can be purchased separately, and will allow you to
run Windows software on FreeBSD.  Unfortunately, running game software
under emulation will noticably affect performance.

Unfortunately, if playing games is how you spend most of your time on the
computer, FreeBSD is currently not a very good choice, not for technical
reasons, but for market reasons.   Until FreeBSD (or Linux) attracts a
much larger user base, most game developers are going to concentrate on
Windows.

On the other hand, if you do more than just play games, definitely take a
look at the kind of software that is native on FreeBSD, and see if it can
meet your needs.  FreeBSD can also run Linux software.  Since FreeBSD and
Linux are more closely related, Linux emulation on FreeBSD does not incur
a significant performance hit.  You won't be able to run Microsoft
software, but there is still a lot of good software available for
FreeBSD/Linux.

Mark Hendriks
markh@lon.imag.net