Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:13:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        ache@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache port and http://www.vex.net/php/

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Although I'm nearly finished with the port as stand alone cgi
> program, I'd like to follow the suggestions of the author, to run
> it as an apache module.

  There are some security problems with the cgi module.  It should only be
used as last resort.  I would recommend that the cgi php module be NOT
included into the ports collection, lest someone have their system broken
into, because of it.  The apache module is avoids this problem.

  There was some discussion about the security problems with the cgi
module on the postgresql mailing list.

  Also, if included as port, which database would php be built for?
Wouldn't you need to make two ports?  One for php-postresql and one for
php-msql?

> --
> Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
>                     Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD
>                        http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html
>                           http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/benches.html

Tom