Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 15:09:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Copies of superblocks in FFS

After reading the FFS source code, I can not help wondering why we keep
N+1 superblocks in a file system, where N is the number of cylinder groups
in the file system.  It seems to me that only the second superblock in
cylinder group 0 is actually used (cylinder group 0 contains two copies of
superblocks).  All other superblocks are never touched.

If the primary superblock (the second copy in cylinder group 0, at offset
8192+8192) is updated and other superblocks are not updated at the same
time, how can any of other copies be used to restore file system in case
that the primary copy is corrupted somehow?  If so, the performance will
be degraded.

Also, except for the root filesystem (/), all other filesystems (/var,
/usr, etc.) do not have the (boot code + disklabel) installed, these space
are also wasted (8192 bytes for each non-root filesystem).

BTW, the hard disks are more stable nowadays and any bad sectors may have
been hidden by the disk controllers (the filesystem does not have to deal
with them).

Any enlightment or correction is appreciated.