Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:49:52 -0400
From:      Bill Schmitt <bilsch@schmittnet.com>
To:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   1 step forward/2 steps back

Last week I asked here for advice installing FreeBSD. The common thread
in the answers was that using the Diamond Stealth 2001 w/2MB of memory
wasn't helping. So, I checked into what was available locally, noted
that NVidia has drivers on their own website, and picked up a card that
seemed to be supported all around; the PNY Technologies Verto PCI card
with 64MB of memory and the NVidia GEForce MX4000 chipset. Since then,
I've been going in circles. I started by trying to do a clean install of
4.10. Everthing seemed to be okay, so I rebooted and the process went
fine until it got to the Zip Drive on the machine. It displayed the
slave mount and just stopped. During the install process, this was the
last message before switching to /root, but I tried disconnecting the
zip drive (I haven't used it in years, anyway) and reinstalling in case
there was a conflict with the new card. Now it stops after displaying
the master mount for the CD/DVD drive, for which disconnecting isn't an
option. I also tried using version 5.3, just do see if the issue was
something that had been corrected, and get the same results. I repeated
both processes including a repartition and label, and the same thing
happens.

Just to validate things, I pulled out a Knoppix distribution (from the
xfce.org site) and booted from their. It worked fine, with the only
point of interest being that it booted xfce in VESA mode and seemed to
recognize both the onboard graphics from the motherboard I'm using and
the new adapter. If I could get that far, I think I'd be fine, though.

I've tried booting with iso disk 2, but can't find any log information
that might help me either, so I'm assuming that these logs are written
AFTER it gets to root?

I'm really stumped, and quite frustrated with the whole thing. I know
I'm using an old machine (Gateway 300 with a PII and 128 Megs of memory)
but it shouldn't be this hard and I got a lot further using the old
graphics adapter. I could really use some help here.

Thanks, to anyone who can help.

Bill