Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:49:36 GMT
From:      Steve Anderson <sba@msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   amd64/99803: Can't install FreeBSD from CD-ROM

>Number:         99803
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Can't install FreeBSD from CD-ROM
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Sun SunFire X2100 server.  SATA hard drive (1-80GB), IDE DVD/CD-ROM drive. Dual core Opteron 170 cpu 2 GB of RAM.  Server boots from CD initially and begins install without problem.  After changes are written to hard drive, you see a message saying starting emergency holographic session of vtty4.  Then it says unable to transfer base ditribution from acd0.  Do you want to try and retrieve it again?  If you select yes it repeats until you give up.  If you press no, you have to manually cancel all install options.  I've tried multiple burns of the CD-ROM on multiple servers and they all do this.
>How-To-Repeat:
Boot from CD and attempt to install OS.