Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:46:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install on Seagate SCSI driver

Hi,

I had major problems with a machine when trying to install. It would fail
or panic or both. The messages had something to do with uncompressing the
data files failing due to bad checksums or something along that line. I
also tried Linux and it just panicked. I tried BSDi and it installed but
only reported 128MB of memory instead of the 256 in it. Turned out to be
bad memory. That's where I'd be looking on your machine. Since the install
is so quick, you can try cycling through the memory chips to find the bad
one(s) by removing chips and installing, swapping chips, installing, ...
until you find the bad one.

Colin