Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 21:34:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

> Perhaps this is something unique to FreeBSD then. The vast majority of the
> good product ideas I have ever heard came from 'mere' users of the product.

This would be true except for the fact that just about all the "good
ideas" have pretty much been suggested already.  FreeBSD should have
better desktop support, FreeBSD should support laptops, someone should
make unionfs/lfs/devfs/yaddayaddafs work, FreeBSD should have a better
default look-and-feel for the X setup, FreeBSD should make everything
be a package rather than just the add-on bits.  These are all good
ideas which have also been suggested at least, oh, 500 or 600
times. :-)

What we lack is the manpower to go DO those things and this is why
many developers now take the attitude of "fine idea, now GO DO IT
PLEASE", not because they want to be arrogant a**holes but because
they're just good and sick of hearing the same set of good ideas
repeated over and over but not seeing any hands actually raised to go
off and do the actual work.

It's also a sad fact that many users won't take "fine idea, but we
lack the time to do this" as a final answer, coming back instead with
lots of "but it should be SIMPLE!  LINUX DOES THIS!" sorts of
rebuttals which do not endear them to us at all.  For a lot of
developers, they don't even want to be bothered any more if the
suggestion doesn't have diffs appended to it.  Good ideas we have
lying around in heaps, just waiting for someone to implement them.
Implementors, rather less. :)

- Jordan