Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:13:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        net@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-standards@bostonradio.org
Subject:   MAXHOSTNAMELEN redux

My bug report against the current POSIX draft was accepted.  For the
record, here are the changes being made.  (``The indicated line'' is
referring to a line in the definition of gethostname() where the
length of the buffer was previously defined to be 256, including the
terminating null.  The excluding-null semantics were chosen for
parallel construction with {NAME_MAX} and similar constants.

 At the indicated line, for 255 substitute {HOST_NAME_MAX}.
 At XBD page 261 (<limits.h>) before line 8966 insert:

   {HOST_NAME_MAX}
     Maximum length of a host name (not including the terminating
     null) as returned from the gethostname() function.
     Minimum acceptable value: {_POSIX_HOST_NAME_MAX}

 Before line 9183, insert:

   {_POSIX_HOST_NAME_MAX}
     Maximum length of a host name (not including the terminating
     null) as returned from the gethostname() function.
     Value: 255

 At XBD page 424 (<unistd.h>) before line 14818 insert:

   _SC_HOST_NAME_MAX

 At XSH page 1982 (sysconf()) before line 45530 insert:

   {HOST_NAME_MAX}       _SC_HOST_NAME_MAX

 I include the last two changes for completeness only; I do not
 believe that applications are likely to use the sysconf() interface
 for this purpose.

-GAWollman