Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 16:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kargl@crosby.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   0412-SNAP is FUBAR

Guys,

First, my hardware was running -current, but I wasn't using Bruce's
diskslice stuff or the newer sysconfig stuff.  I also needed to adjust
my swapspace because of new 16MB SIMM.  So, I decided to checkout
the new SNAP-0412.

MISTAKE #1!!!!!!

I retrieved boot.flp and cpio.flp.

%dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/fd0 bs=512
%dd if=cpio.flp of=/dev/fd0 bs=512
%shutdown -r reboot

The boot.flp works as expected, but the cpio.flp has problems.

(1)  It gracefully exited with a Fatal trap 12 in kernel mode at
     address 0xfdd0400 .... (rebooted before I could write the rest).

(2)  Upon rebooting the installed kernel successfully probed my ep0
     device as an wt0 device which, of course, screws FTP installation.

(3)  Reboot with -c option and disable wt0 probe.  Now, the ep0 is
     successfully identified as an mcd0.

(4)  Reboot with -c option and disable all devices that can conflict with
     ep0 and enable ep0.  Everything seems find and the system boots.  It
     get to the "Chnaging root device to sd0a" and nothing happens.  No
     panic, no reboot, no keyboard, it's hung good and tight.

(5)  Power cycle and repeat (4).

(6)  Reboot and disable everything that conflicts with ep0 and disable ep0.
     System comes up fine.  But, I can't install anything because the
     network is of course down.

(7)  Escape to shell during install phase.
     #tar xvf /dev/rst0 kernel
     [This is a 2 day old -current kernel known to work with the hardware.
      Damn happy I have a DAT]

(8)  Reboot, come up, and install bindist, srcdist, securedist.

(9)  Not a happy camper.

I guess I should have merged the /etc (sysconfig stuff) by hand.  The
diskslice stuff would have been more difficult because I lost his email
about how to transition from the pre- to post- slice code.  Where is the
mail archive?

Steve Kargl

PS: Hardware --> Intel 486dx2-66, EISA, AH1742, 3C509(utp aka link2),
24 MB Ram, generic 2S, 1P, IDE controller card (IDE disabled), Maxtor
540SL SCSI-2 HD.