Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2021 11:33:50 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oddities on Pi4 under -current

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 04:08:31PM +0100, tech-lists wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 05:56:41PM -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
> > A power conservation feature seems a likely culprit, if one has been
> > newly added or turned on.
> >
> > The delayed response appeared after a world/kernel update, I think about
> > two weeks ago. I didn't make any manual config changes. Dropped ssh sessions
> > have been a problem for a while now, but this seems noticeably worse.
>
> ** this rpi4 has aluminium case heatsink and recommended-by-rpi PSU.

Mine has a plastic case with a ~1" fan, no heatsinks installed, and a
Canakit power supply.

> My rpi4/8GB has the following in /etc/rc.conf
> [...]
> powerd_enable="YES"

Same here.

> powerd_flags="-r 1"

No flags for powerd

> [...]
>
> means it'd only shift down if use was 0.00 IIUC. So in practice it never
> shifts down.
>
> in /boot/msdos/config.txt :
> [...]
> over_voltage=8
> arm_freq=2147
> sdram_freq_min=3200

No such changes

> [...]
>
> results in:
> [...]
> % sysctl dev.cpu.0
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 72.0C
> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2100/-1 600/-1
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2100

I get bob@nemesis:~ % sysctl dev.cpu.0
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 43.1C
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 1500/-1 600/-1
dev.cpu.0.freq: 1500

> at the time of writing:
> % uptime
>  4:01p.m.  up 16 days,  3:10, 5 users, load averages: 4.49, 6.47, 4.68
>
> because it's running a poudriere build.

Mine just started a poudriere build of www/firefox. It'll heat up
some, but probably stay below 60 C. Uptime hasn't been a problem.

> ssh never times out. It's running stable/13-n245223-af8d48ac4b8 built
> 15th Sept.

I'm dealing with -current built October 10th. Most ssh connections to
the machine remain connected just fine. It's just those communicating
with the usb-serial adapter that tend to break off.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska