Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:20:25 +0200 (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Westeurop=E4ische_Sommerzeit?=)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Philip Rueegsegger <phibo@phibo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5 on a Thinkpad X21

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Philip Rueegsegger wrote:

> I installed FreeBSD 4.5 on a Thinkpad X21 without having ANY problem in
> the installation process. During the final reboot the system was hanging
> after shutdown, it didn't reboot. I just powered off and on the machine,
> but buuh, it didn't even popup the bootloader menu. Well, rewrite the
> master boot record was my first thought. But, wow, I couldn't even boot
> from floppy anymore ?!? OK, let's have a look at the BIOS settings, but
> arrrgh, I was not able to enter the BIOS menu anymore... I removed the
> harddisk, but still, I couldn't enter the BIOS menu. At this moment I
> knew, my new thinkpad is not usable anymore.

> What the fuck damaged my harddisk ? Have you any idea ? Does anybody of
> you experienced this problem too ?

I guess you have hit a known bug in older Thinkpad BIOSes. These BIOSes
treat partitions of type "n * 16 + 5" (for any value of n) as DOS
hibernation partitions. FreeBSDs partition type is 165...

I don't know why this bug affects the whole notebook, but it was
documented more than a year ago IIRC. Maybe a BIOS upgrade (before
installing FreeBSD!) solves the problem.

HTH,
regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/