Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:18:09 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for review... PR 25577

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 01:14:13PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> Cool.  Does this mean that any of the foocontrol programs can go away?
> I've long wished that we could have some of the wireless control stuff
> go directly into ifconfig rather than having to run an external
> program before bringing up the interface.

They won't go away, but 99.99% of people won't have to touch them.
There are a number of vendor specific settings that I didn't attempt to
build generic ioctl interfaces for, but you really don't need them most
of the time.  I'm planning to add some more features to the ioctl
interface over time including the stuff necessicary to build generic
version of the pretty GUI apps you get in Windows.

As an extra bonus, this stuff should let you install with a floppy and a
wireless nic.

-- Brooks

--=20

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4