Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:40:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   chapter about using the fixit floppy?

[ cc'ing to -hackers because some content may be relavent outside -doc ]
Hello all,

Is there a chapter of the Handbook that details how to use the "fixit" floppy?

I moved a disk from controller to controller yesterday and in doing so rendered
my system unbootable (ad4 went to ad0, fstab is hosed, ooops) because I forgot
to change /etc/fstab before shutting down. Rather than just temporarily putting
the controller back, rebooting, changing /etc/fstab then moving it again I
decided to get some worth out of those CDs I bought (grin :), get my hands
dirty, and use the "fixit" option.

IMO, it seems like the "fixit" shell one is given via this option (and I
suppose by using the "fixit.flp" image) is more difficult to "use" than it
should be.

I don't profess to be the expert-of-all-gods in FreeBSD but I've sysadmin'ed
SunOS boxes and been dorking with FreeBSD since 2.0.5, so I wouldn't consider
myself a "newbie" to Unix. Still, it took me a while before I was able to mount
my root partition so I could edit the lousy etc/fstab file.

I knew the partition I wanted was ad0s1a but there was no device file for this
partition in /dev or /dist/dev (aka /mnt2/dev I believe). So, I copied over
MAKEDEV from /dist/dev and after seeing reference to using the $MAKEDEVPATH
variable I was able to get MAKEDEV to work with a single edit--mknod is hard
coded in there as /sbin/mknod but inside the "fixit" shell, mknod is reached
through /mnt2/sbin/mknod (there were other trivialities like symlinking
/dist/etc/group to /etc/group so mknod wouldn't complain about the group
'operator' not existing, etc.).

So, my questions are two-fold:

 1) Can we/shouldn't we populate the CD's /dev with every entry that could be
    created with MAKEDEV (including all the partitions that can be within
    slices of a disk)? If that were the case, then all I would have had to do
    was "mount -t ufs /mnt2/dev/ad0s1a /whatever" and went about my business
    editing.

 2) If this is NOT a good thing to do, can we/should we make MAKEDEV not point
    to /sbin/mknod but rather to something in the path? At that point it should
    be trivial to write a section of the handbook detailing that all somebody
    needs to do to make devices is:

      cd /dev
      MAKEDEVPATH=$PATH; export MAKEDEVPATH
      sh /mnt2/dev/MAKEDEV whatever0

    and they could then begin the business of fixing what needed fixing.

If populating the CD's (and/or fixit floppy's) /dev with all known devices
isn't the correct thing to do, I can provide patches to MAKEDEV if that's the
correct route as well as a section for the handbook (at least in ASCII--I'll
need help sgml'ing it). I'm looking for input from people. Perhaps it was just
too late last night and I'm being dense (i.e. is the "fixit" procedure really
this 'difficult' to use). Comments?

Thanks,