Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 11:38:18 -0500
From:      Ken Hansen <khansen@njcc.com>
To:        The Good/John Scholvin <good@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: 2.2.5 crashing on boot after I add RAM

The Good/John Scholvin wrote:

> Please accept my apologies if thie list is inappropriate for this question!
> I tried comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc and didn't see anything.

Hope this helps...

> I've got an old Compaq Contura 4/25 laptop which I'm trying to install 2.2.5
> on, and I've got a problem I can't figure out. The machine boots the GENERIC
> kernel fine when it has 8MB RAM installed. I've got an expansion RAM card
> which, when installed, ups the total to 20MB.

I wonder if the ram expansion is good - have you tried using the same
exp. board
under a different OS - Win or other?  Just a thought...

> The GENERIC kernel no longer
> boots; it never even gets to the probe stage.

Just a question, but how about the FreeBSD install diskette - will that
boot
the laptop (with the 20M Ram installed)?

> I figure, no problem, build a
> new kernel with option "MAXMEM=(20*1024)" after the example I found in
> LINT.

Is 20 Meg RAM a significant difference that requires a custom kernel?

Ken
khansen@njcc.com