Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 14:08:25 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How

: You mean a hardware failure, right?  A single failed metadata write
: as a result of a crash before the write completes is *always*
: recoverable with fsck.

Yes.  However, more than a single failed write was happening...

: A hardware failure will either transparently forward the failed
: sector, or if bad sector forwarding is being handled in software,
: the BAD144 layer will cause the soft bad block map to be updated
: and, again, the failed write will be remapped.

The drive was lying to FreeBSD somehow.  The sectors appeared to write
correctly, but they were in fact unchanged or "random" for reasons
unknown.  As far as FreeBSD was concerned, it was dealing with a disk
that was perfect.  The disk drive, on the other hand, had other
notions...  It is entirely possible that FreeBSD 2.0R doesn't handle
this sort of thing correctly.  I've not delved enough to know for
sure.  I just know that I had a disk go bad and the corruption in the
file system was rather large...

Warner