Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:00:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: getty patches

> > > If the init chat fails, it logs via syslog and exits. There is no
> > > other sane thing to do.
> >
> > So is the initd expected to say "getty repeating too quickly on
> > port %s, sleeping" for this?
>
> If GETTY_SPACING in init.c was to be increased from 5 seconds, yes.
> But this may have undesirable side-effects, and I'm not sure if I'd
> want this behaviour in any case.

It's 10 seconds according to the man page.  5 seconds id the average
for a process coming in a rndom interval of 0-10 seconds following
a sleep event.

So 5 seconds is average, but the worst case is double that.

> > Waiting an average of 5 minutes for a login when this happens (while
> > initd is busy sleeping it off) seems a bad thing.
>
> ?

I meant "seconds".

[ ... /etc/issue ... ]

> > I thought different transports could be given different classes
> > in the BSDI implementation.
>
> No. This is seen as a "service" to the authenticator. Login classes
> may have different combinations of service/authenticator values,
> but which ones are valid are still driven by the user's login
> class.

OK, objection withdrawn.

> > > Any way you like, Terry. If you don't wish to use the inbound call
> > > features, then don't. That's why it is optional. :-) A blocking
> > > open() is still done unless you enable the "ac" capability.
> >
> > Ah.  I see.  So I can use the same modem inbound vs. outbound,
> > as long as I turn this feature off.
>
> "Unless you enable it in the first place" is a more accurate
> picture.

Right, but it's a desirable feature, so I'll probably have it on.  8-)

I guess the problem is that I can't have both desirable features at
the same time, unless I go to the "open-completes-on-RI-signal" model,
or unless I fully virtualize the modem and use DCD inbound to lock
outbound access (EWOULDBLOCK instead of hanging for the chat to get
out of the way).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org