Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:34:39 -0500
From:      mikel king <mikel.king@olivent.com>
To:        Irk Ed <irked7189@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Root access policy

On Dec 29, 2011, at 4:01 AM, Irk Ed wrote:

> For the first time, a customer is asking me for root access to said
> customer's servers.
>=20
> Obviously, I must comply. At the same time, I cannot continue be
> accountable for those servers.
>=20
> Is this that simple and clear cut?
>=20
> Assuming that I'll be asked to continue administering said servers, I =
guess
> I should at least enable accounting...
>=20
> I'd appreciate comments/experience/advice from the wise...

Call me paranoid but is your contract near term end?

In my experience this is usually a precursor to a end of year cost =
cutting service provider change. Specifically someone in sales's second =
cousin's nephew who saw a linux server once and thinks he's an expert.

I recommend that you complete a backup of everything prior to granting =
them sudo access. Possibly even run am md5sum against all important =
config files and save that in your back up as well.

Then give them well written explanation of why sudo is superior or at =
least safer to direct root access.

Regards,
Mikel King
BSD News Network