Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:48:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Generator

Recently Muditha Gunatilake said:
> Hi,

> We are small ISP in the Seychelles. I am having power cuts often from
> our local Electricity company and UPS last only about 1 hr.
> I am interested in purchasing a generator that could keep us going on
> the worst situation for about one day.
>
> We have:

> Five servers, 1 PM3-E, 1 PM 2E with 25 rack modems and 5 external,
> Two routers, some telecom equipment (does much power required).

> Can anyone recommend a small generator or the kind of specifications I
> should look for when getting one. The normal supply here is 240V and
> 50Hz. We don't mind manually having to switch the UPS from the mains to
> the generator.

Check out the UPS 'systems' from BEST.   The come in varying
capacities and have optional generators that work in conjunction
with these systems.

If the power goes out the UPS comes on line.  If the UPS gets to a
certain point it will automatically fire up the generator.
Capacities vary and the largest ones are diesel only - you probably
only need the gasoline units.

You don't have to do a thing, and since it's a complete system you
know that it will as a unit.

Bill

--
bill@bilver.magicnet.net | bill@bilver.com