Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:22:52 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <reso3w83@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient problems in 5.3-RELEASE

On Sunday 23 January 2005 12:09 pm, David Gerard wrote:
> Hexren (me@hexren.net) [050124 07:02]:
> > DG> On reboot, I ran dhclient and it completely failed to get an IP
> > address. DG> But I know the cable is good and the DHCP server is
> > working, because I DG> booted the box in question into Windows and
> > it grabbed an IP just fine. So DG> where do I start on diagnosing
> > what's up with this installation?
> >
> > Start by sniffing the network traffic on the DHCP Server machine
> > while you request an address. See where it differs from the usual.
> > Maybe the problem becomes obvious then. :)
>
> As I noted, it served fine to the Windows installation on the same
> box on the same wire from the same server. Also, just before
> installing 5.3, it was serving just fine to FreeBSD 4.10 on the same
> box on the same wire from the same server. The only factor that's
> different is the software and OS running. I'm wondering what if
> anything's changed in dhclient between 4.10 and 5.3 ... is there some
> daft but obvious gotcha I've missed? Or are you saying the 5.3
> dhclient is much, much fussier in some way?
>

> - d.

A while back I had exactly the same problem as you, what I did to prove
there was a problem with dhclient in 5.3 was I copied the
dir /usr/src/sbin/dhclient from a 4.10 machine to my 5.3 machine, then
"make install"'ed it and it worked.  I did my best to explain the
problem in the lists to no avail so now the machine that runs the dsl
modem is running FreeBSD 4.11 and I just don't worry about it anymore.

-Mke