Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:41:32 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is KDE installing in LOCALBASE; not X11BASE?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:49:45 -0700, Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 17:36, David Xu wrote:
>> >
>> > From hier(7):
>> >
>> > /usr/
>> >     local/    local executables, libraries, etc.  Also used as the
>> >               default destination for the FreeBSD ports framework.
>> >               Within local/, the general layout sketched out by hier
>> >               for /usr should be used.  Exceptions are the man
>> >               directory (directly under local/ rather than under
>> >               local/share/), ports documentation (in
>> >               share/doc/<port>/), and /usr/local/etc (mimics /etc).
>> >
>> >     X11R6/    X11R6 distribution executables, libraries, etc
>> >                         (optional).
>> >               bin/      X11R6 binaries (servers, utilities, local
>> >                         packages/ports).
>> >               etc/      X11R6 configuration files and scripts.
>> >               include/  X11R6 include files.
>> >               lib/      X11R6 libraries.
>> >               man/      X11R6 manual pages.
>> >               share/    architecture-independent files.
>> >
>> > So, from this, it's arguable where they should go.
>> >
>> > KDE isn't part of X11R6, so it should go in /usr/local/, as should
>> > Gnome, Windowmaker etc.
>> >
>> > Of course, you can argue that it is tightly integrated with X, so
>> should
>> > go under /usr/X11R6.
>> >
>> > It's all down to your interpretation of the above segment of hier(7)
>> > really.
>> >
>> > Me? I don't care, and I'm not going to bikeshed the issue.
>> >
>> > A.
>>
>> Sorry for a bit OT, but why is Trolltech QT installed into /usr/X11R6 ?
>> QT obviously does not belong to X11 distribution, and just a third paty
>> widget library. Things are messed up.
>
> And all of gtk+ and gnome is also in /usr/X11R6 afaik.  However, there's
> always going to be blurring.  For example, fontconfig and expat are both
> distributed with XFree86 and neither one depends on libX11, but
> fontconfig is in /usr/X11R6 and expat is in /usr/local.  Both of them
> have been taken out of our compiling/installing of the XFree86
> distribution so we can have separate ports of them.  Where should they
> go then?  If XFree86 starts distributing something that we had already
> packaged, should it get moved from its previous location in /usr/local
> to /usr/X11R6?  This may happen a few more times with some new libraries
> being written by XFree86-associated folks.
>
> Basically, this is a bikeshed I don't want to mess with, and I
> personally hope nobody else messes with.

Well, sorry, I believe some of us will have to mess with those. BSD is one
of reason I love, because of standard until when I start to pay attention
to the more things on hier(7) in the ports tree.

IMO, hier(7) is 'kind of' broke:

www/linux-mozilla -> /usr/local
Most mozilla and gecko-based -> /usr/X11R6
QT -> /usr/X11R6
KDE -> /usr/local
[...goes on...]

P.S. Thanks David for add the perfect point on QT/KDE.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.